Thursday, July 31, 2014

Year of the Book Quest Update

I've finally accepted the fact that I'm a serial book purchaser. Uuugghhh. I know, I know. There could be serial habits that are a lot worse, but dang! Book buying can be expensive and take up some room. I have a Nook, but I'm a BIG fan of the real thing. There is just something about holding a real book in my hands, turning the pages...shoot! I even love the smell. I get excited just walking into a book store. Seriously, it's a problem.

Now that I've admitted my addiction, here is my Epic Book Quest Update! I want 50 this year, and I'm a bit behind. Eek! I need to step my book reading game up, and step my book buying game down:

1. Bubbly on Your Budget by Marjorie Hillis
Enjoy life! Find a way to make it work.

2. Savvy Chic: The Art of More for Less by Anna Johnson
Simple/easy ways to enjoy life with very little...get creative and personable.

3. I Will Teach You To Be Rich by Ramit Sethi
Great read. Consciously spend/save. Ramit Sethi laid out an easy and simple framework to automate funds, invest, and enjoy your money the way that you want to.

4. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Interesting to read from the perspective of someone with autism.

5. Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell
Learn to recognize what your brain/unconscious mind is telling you...and LISTEN.


6. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed reading this. Although I do wish it ended a bit differently, it did end exactly the way it should have...a cheerful yet melancholy ending.


7. How to Raise a Healthy Child...In Spite of Your Doctor by Robert S. Mendelsohn, M.D.
Great read with lots of information. It reinforced my intuition that I can take care of my child much better than a doctor can in many instances. Stay out of hospitals as much as possible. Trust your gut. Sometimes, all the baby needs is breast milk, sunshine, rest, and lots of love :D


8. Raise a Smarter Child by Kindergarten by David Perlmutter, M.D.
Talk to your child. Take him outside. Involve your child. Try new things. Don't sit in front of the TV all day. Eat healthy and have fun with your little ones. 

9. The Cosmic Power Within You by Joseph Murphy
You are exactly what you think.


10. Inferno by Dave Brown
Interesting take on what humans are doing to the planet just by procreating.


11. The Pursuit of Happyness by Chris Gardner
Very inspiring! Working hard, a willingness/desire/fervor to learn and help those that also show those traits is one of the great keys to success.


12. Aleph by Paulo Coelho
Lots of spiritual/mystical references. Not as good as the Alchemist which I LOVED. I found myself irritated by things happening in the book. It ended up being a disappointment, too boring, and weirdly stressed me out. What the heck?


13. The 5 Love Languages by Gary D. Chapman
Wonderful!! So many great ideas to enhance the relationships in your life, not just the relationship with your spouse or significant other.


14. Financial Peace Revisited by Dave Ramsey
 Informative, quick, easy read that reminded me that I need to tithe again and give my time more often. Also, there is no point in getting a mortgage and/or buying a tone of unnecessary crap that society deems as necessary. This was very refreshing. I personally loved the ideas, but I know a lot of people could see it as a "radical" or impractical take on finance.


15. Wicked by Gregory Maguire
Really enjoyed this! I was surprised by the slew of adult themes. I definitely did not expect the twist at the end. I won't spoil it, but DANG. That was a shocker.

16. Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis
Wheat effs you up! Schizophrenia?! Alzheimers?! AHHH!


17. Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan
WOW. I definitely do NOT want to lose my mind, ever. Let's be honest, who really wants to lose their mind? But seriously, after reading her story, I just wonder how many other people have had this and gone on undiagnosed left to forever rot in an asylum or on the streets? Sounds awful.


18. The Most Dangerous Animal of All: Searching for My Father...and Finding the Zodiac Killer by Gary L. Stewart
So creepy! It's gotta be him! I'm glad my dad is awesome and not a serial killer. 


Books that I need to finish:

1. Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food by Catherine  Shanahan
2. The Power of Now: A Guide To Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle
3. The Cosmic Power Within You by Joseph Murphy
4. America's Women: 400 Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates, and Heroines by Gail Collins
5. Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert
6. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
7. The Pursuit of Happyness by Chris Gardner
8. Stuck: Why We Can't (or Won't) Move On by Anneli Rufus
4. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Marting
5. Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
11. Dracula by Bram Stoker
6. They Like Jesus but Not the Church by Dan Kimball
7. Brave Girl Eating by Harriet Brown
8. The Little Prince
9. The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg

The books that are lined through above have either been finished, or I've just come to the realization that I will likely never finish them. Feels good to let 'em gooooo. 

What books are you reading? Any must reads I should add to my quest? I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment