Thursday, July 31, 2014

I Quit Sugar and Gluten for a Week

A week of no sugar and no wheat/gluten...and I've lost 6 pounds!!!! Okay, okay, I didn't lose it in a week (more like a month and a half), but I'm feeling great! I used to never think I had much of a sweet tooth, but today I decided to splurge and make myself some homemade Nutella from Sarah Wilson's I Quit Sugar. Oh my gosh, it was AWESOME. Then I decided to get a little frisky and make some mini cakes. All I did was add three eggs and popped it in the oven at 350F for about 30 minutes. I let them cool and voila! Topped with some coconut cream and frozen blueberries. So, I took some bites, and it was GREAT. I took a few more bites and started to feel sick. What the heck?! As I type this, I still have more than half of it in a bowl staring at me, and I am way over it. This is mind blowing for me because I have always been one to finish everything in front of me as well as whatever is on my hubb'z plate. Ever since I can remember, I have always basically been, the garbage disposal of the family. Not the most elegant job description, but whatevs...I have no shame.

Anyway, that's what is so crazy about this! I have always had what I thought to be an insatiable appetite. Now that I've done a week without gluten and especially sugar, taking those bites from an "I Quit Sugar" recipe showed me that my palate is changing and, consequently, the mind/body connection with my appetite. So exciting!!! There is even a somewhat bitter taste left over. I'm going to have to do some major oil pulling to get that leftover sugary taste out of my mouth.

The whole reason I made this dessert thing in the first place was because my birthday was coming up ...woohoo! I wanted to enjoy a piece or two of cake, and I didn't want it to be filled with a bunch of nastiness so I tried this little recipe out. Oh and ALSO...I decided to try an all-fruit fruit roll up copy cat thing. It was preeetttyyyy gross, so I spit it out. AGAIN, I didn't finish it. Is this a new grown up chapter in my life? Yay!!

Anyway, I'm so excited about this and had to share. Has anyone else tried quitting sugar? I'd love to hear your experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment