Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Year of the Book Quest

By the end of 2014, I will have reached my goal of reading 30 books in a year. Actually, it will be less than a year because I started this journey in early March. The books I have read so far are as follows:

1. Bubbly on Your Budget by Marjorie Hillis
2. Savvy Chic: The Art of More for Less by Anna Johnson
3. I Will Teach You To Be Rich by Ramit Sethi
4. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
5. Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

Books that I need to finish:

1. Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food by Catherine  Shanahan
2. The Power of Now: A Guide To Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle
3. The Cosmic Power Within You by Joseph Murphy
4. America's Women: 400 Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates, and Heroines by Gail Collins
5. Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert
6. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
7. The Pursuit of Happyness by Chris Gardner
8. Stuck: Why We Can't (or Won't) Move On by Anneli Rufus
9. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Marting
10. Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
11. Dracula by Bram Stoker
12. 

To be fair, I have started all of the books mentioned and, as I stated, need to finish them. All are way less than halfway finished. What can I say, I love reading, and when Amazon can fulfill my addiction, I tend to get a little carried away. 

While I do have a young son that will be turning a whopping 7 months soon (holy crap!!), somehow I still get time to read here and there. I owe that in part to my amazing husband, my pumping breaks at work, and choosing to not watch as much TV. When I do watch TV, I'm trying to watch it while on the rebounder, although I'm not always quite so successful in that respect.

This "book quest" came to me after I read an article about some amazing CEO that stated she tries to read 100 books a year and is usually quite successful. ONE HUNDRED BOOKS IN A YEAR?!…..as a CEO?! I figured that although I'm a mom and in a full-time job, I'm definitely not as busy the CEO of a multi-million (or billion?) dollar company, so I'm more than capable of reaching my measly goal of 30 books. In fact, I'm going to sweeten the deal. I'm going to make my goal 50 books. It's still attainable yet slightly more daunting than 30. That would mean that I need to read approximately 5.5 books a month. I've got this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment